Friday, October 4, 2013

Flashback Friday: High School Debate

My dad's collegiate education was funded through a debate scholarship, so it seemed natural I would follow in his footsteps and be a forensicator. My sophomore year in high school, I entered the debating fray full-force. I researched political issues and philosophical ideas and learned how to "flow" and "rebut" and control my too-often excessive hand gestures. I developed a debate arch-nemesis, a fellow sophomore from American Fork High School named Stephen Richards. I'll forever consider that tow-headed conservative the one person I must excel over. The extent of our rivalry deserves its own space in the annals of my life. Perhaps some other day I will detail it.

I would say my greatest high school friendships were forged in the fire of debate. Particularly the Todd Monday quartet of Roni, Eliza, Amanda, and Tayla. However, I would be remiss not to throw in how intensely we loved Maddie Jo and our fearless leader, Mrs. Baker. In our bellies burned a fierce testimony of the glory of speech & debate and we on-boarded all of the promising youngsters we could.

In those days, I stayed very concurrent with the latest news and had formulated opinions backed by researched facts. I still try to stay fairly up-to-date with the world's happenings, but I feel like any stalwart debate kid could school me in my facts.

Anyway, really, this has all sprung up as I've been looking at old pictures on my computer. I was an awkward acne-pocked teenager, and those were some of the greatest times of my life with some of my best friends.

Thanks everybody.

Oh, Amanda, do you remember passionately defending the right of NBA players to don do-rags when the NBA dress code was the monthly topic of crossfire debate?

The crew during the state tournament my senior year.

"The Losers Pyramid." These folks did not have the scores to qualify for  the final championships rounds. Technically, I didn't either, but someone had to take the picture. 

This was an attempt at a debate action shot.

Amanda was always a goddess of speech and debate. Steven participated in tournaments every year of high school and didn't place until the very last tournament of senior year. It was glorious.

Yeah, Amanda always woneverything. I think it is because she was born in the D.C. metropolitan area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment