Saturday, October 5, 2013

Commitment

I told myself that in October I would commit to blogging every single day.

And today, that mandate seems tedious. Nonetheless, I had my reasons for this assignment.

1. I like to write. 

I really do. I aspire to make it my living, except I don't aspire very well because I write rarely. Granted, I do keep diaries that detail feelings and exploits (many of which I do not intend to make available for public consumption), but I rarely create things other than sentence-long facebook or twitter posts that are "published" in the world for others' eyes to see.

2. My ideas are worth recording, I guess.

I am an avid reader of blogs. I especially like those written by childhood friends that give beautiful glimpses into their adult lives and evolution of their person. So, I guess whatever I have to say may be enjoyed by people who know me and care about the person I am becoming. Also, I believe that every person's thoughts, ideas, and feelings have intrinsic value, so by default--so do mine.

3. I'm trying to be a more disciplined person.
I feel that I can descend into epic laziness. I blame television for being so good, and the internet for revolutionizing my entertainment experience. And, boy, I do love consuming media, but I find that the barrage of quality programming and the demands of life make it easy for me to put off pursuits. So, if I have to write one entry every day for 31 days, I proved a little something to myself. (And can get off my case a bit.)

4. Self-Indulgence

Like my friends far away may not know that I cut my bangs. All summer long I mulled over whether to let these cluster of hair follicles grow out, and eventually decided that summertime bangs are a terrible idea, because they just become a sweat rag. However, these are fall/winter bangs. My hope is they will keep my forehead warm through the coldest months. How would I have shared this "evolution of my person" with the world, if it wasn't for this blog...(oh, wait: facebook, twitter, instagram, to name a few.)

No comments:

Post a Comment