Wednesday, May 7, 2008

So much to convey inadequately

I know I cannot really express the crazy excitement that accompanies being in Italy, so instead I will endeavor to express my experience in anecdotes. However, nothing really funny or out of the ordinary has happened. I mean I have been in the Coloseum, been down in the Catacombs, walked the Appian way, strolled through the streets of Pompeii, and been through the ancient Roman forum. You know, niente speciale.

Well, this morning I decided to go running with some of the ragazze from the program, Caitlin, Erin and Rachel. You know, I am hoping to run St. George Marathon 2008 and all so a little training seems in order. Man it was intense. I have not run distance for a while (my pathetic excuses: winter, a cold), and the path we took was totally uphill (we were running to a local park and hoped to get a few laps in there). After finally reaching our location, I was spent. Rachel was nice enough to tone it down with me as we walked a few blocks, then we realized running was easy when it is downhill as it was the entire way back, logically. Anyway, I do not think that seeing runners on the sidewalk is uber common in Rome, and there were at least three Romans keen to tease us. They would pantomime running behind us. It was all good natured, and I wanted to say something cunning, but everything I wanted to say seemed like it would come off rudely sarcastic.

AND--I may not have a roommate in Siena. Stephanie canceled last minute on account that she got engaged, which honestly means she might not ever make it to Italy, but maybe she will find some opportunity. Anyway, it would not be fun for her if she sat in the Coloseum pining after her lover. My solution to the roommatelessness is that I host a slew of sleepovers. Because I do not think I want to spend every Sienese night alone. Not that I want someone IN my bed, just in a bed nearby.

Everything is awesome, and I do not find Rome super daunting. I really feel safe, even though I have not put RUBAMI on my purse or anything.

And pictures will come eventually, I can probably upload them on this computer, but I know the internet point computers have been shorting jump drives so I am not eager to run the risk with my camera, but you will have pictures as soon as I get to Siena.

1 comment:

  1. oh it sounds amazing i cant even picture it! i am so glad you are enjoying it! did i mention i am beyond jealous! well i am! loveS!

    ReplyDelete