Sunday, January 31, 2010

Week 1/Settimana Uno

School has begun, but I am still warming up my drive to become academically motivated.

Here's a quick day-by-day rundown of this first week:

Monday: I believe I slept a hearty amount, then went to campus (aka 'The Villa'), where I intended to do some much needed studying for my oral exam in Letteratura italiana moderna e contemporanea, but devoted too much time to reading Time magazine cover to cover. Then I went to my Italian Politics class, which should be a breeze...(overconfident? we shall see!) I also bought groceries.

Tuesday: Big day. I got to meet the god of Italian Studies (at least that is how his colleagues talked about him), the new Works in Progress coordinator in Florence, John Freccero. We had all these crazy ideas of him, Jane Tylus, sort of the go-to professor about concerns or questions with the Florence program, talked about how he was really old and he'd probably need someone to physically support him as he wandered the campus. She also emphasized a little too much that he just loves to be surrounded by pretty intellectual girls. Turns out he is not at all lecherous, and though he is nigh 80, and has some trouble getting around, he's much more alert than that dear old Mr. Shuler at Payson Middle School. Also, heard a lecture on why Michelangelo's architecture still matters.

Wednesday: This day is sort of lost to me. I slept in good and long (after waking up at the unholy hour of 8 a.m. the day before--pathetic that 8 a.m. has become the 'early morning' in my estimation, I know.) I remember doing some homework, but I don't think I ever left my apartment. And truth be told, I didn't get a lot of homework done.

Thursday: Had a class on the Italian Novel.

Friday: Took a tour of the Villa in hopes of getting a job as a docent.

Saturday: Volunteered at Casa San Michele and that night went out for Apertivo and to the movie Baciami ancora. A sequel to the much-loved romantic comedy L'ultimo bacio. Though the plot was laughingly over-dramatic, I shed a few tears.

Sunday: I thought I would die if I had to get out of bed, so I missed church. But I researched a bit of the spring break trip I am planning for Grandma, Uncle Jerry, and Aunt Cindy in March.

Hopefully, the next week will bring something more interesting to write about, and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment