Thursday, January 21, 2010

C'est la vie

Or rather, C'e' la vita, but it really doesn't have the same ring in Italian.


Anyway, today for the first time since I arrived in Italy, I woke before the hours were in the P.M. range. I consider this quite an accomplishment, it was only my third sleep since I got back and it is tremendously hard to fall asleep at night. And, I was well away from the "P.M."s; it was 7:50 when I arose from my bed. Since I was finally awake at a reasonable time to have a productive day, I decided to go to Siena, the town I would choose to be from if I was born to be Italian. The city has a certain Medieval grandeur with a lot of spunk. This post was to contain all the lovely photos I snapped (New Year's Resolution to take more pictures, check. I'm like, "I have a camera, so why don't I use it (besides for taking pictures of myself from an arm's length away. In the 2+ years I've owned a digital picture I've garnered thousands (I kid you not; I'm vain.) of self-portraits))<--(I used three sets of parenthesis in that little bit. My next goal will be four.) These pictures included some lovely panoramas, glorious architecture, and an action shot of my one-legged, or rather one-footed--he still had his leg, pigeon friend.

But there are no pictures, so what gives?

(This is a multiple choice question; I'm not saying all of these things happened.)
a. Roni left her camera on the bus on the way home, even after she'd had a little inkling that she should double check her seat.
b. After being so careful for so long, Roni made a mistake and blew out her camera with the high-voltage Italian electricity.
c. Un ladro di tasche! A pickpocket! pickpocketed Roni!
d. Roni with her incredible propensity to wreak havoc with her clumsiness and destroy indestructible things (she could be a super villain, they seem to be the destroyer types) dropped it from the Torre del Mangia, and there's no hope for even the most indestructible when it speeds toward the hard ground from 102 meters.

I don't want anyone to skim ahead and accidentally cheat, so I'll go like this (like all those email forwards do when you are suppose to be making a wish...it's annoying, so I'm sorry, but remember, I'm the one coping with the loss of a piece of photographic technology!)
**************
************
**********
*****
***
**
*
*
**
***
****
*****
******
*******
********
*********
**************
**********

Okay, that was boring. The answer is a. Though, it would have been quite a story if I'd dropped it from the Torre del Mangia. I left it on the bus back from Siena, at least, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I thought, I should double check my seat, then didn't! So now I am left to call the bus companies and do a very scary thing....talk on the phone in Italian (it's especially hard to understand a language you don't quite understand when the words are deprived of their physical cues!)

I marched down to the station as soon as I couldn't find my camera and the guy at the office gave me the number for the offices of missing objects for both bus companies that run through that base. I called both places; one said they'd found no cameras, the other that the office of missing objects was closed and that I'd rang through to the main office (That lady was a little bit mean though, but I did sort of freeze up with my Italian...that's why we should always be nice to foreigners, they are always more scared and embarrassed than you are unnerved).

But even if this is the end, I can be grateful for the time I had with my camera. If my parents hadn't sprung for a nearly indestructible model, I would have had to lay my camera to rest years ago. Now it is just missing, and I'll hold out hope. Just like I still hope that I may one day again see the SLR camera of mine that strangely disappeared in Park City that Christmas, that year when Ches and Brooke swear they saw Lance Bass.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts, even when they are really sad about how you lost your camera. If you had a "Buy Roni a New Camera" fund, I would probably donate.
    I miss you!!
    And in response to your question on my blog (aren't we techie?!), I'm not sure if I want to keep living this high life. Sometimes I feel like people don't have souls...or that they just need to be reasonable.

    ReplyDelete