Saturday, November 21, 2009

My little old man

To make up for the lack of posting, I will do two posts back-to-back, because just as I hit "Publish Post" on my Baaria entry, I remembered my little old man. It is a short, little Italian anecdote that might be a welcome diversion.

So, every Saturday, I see this old Italian man as I walk to my volontario. He sits outside of Tabaccheria in a lawn chair and basically says, "Buongiorno" to all who pass the scarcely frequented street. Anyway, for several weeks I just uttered my customary, "Buongiorno," in response to his salutation. Then he asked, "Da dove vieni?" and I responded, "America." Then he said, "You are very cute." I swear, in Italy a girl can get enough compliments to last a lifetime. Anyway, when I saw him today he said, "I am happier when I see you." It was just nice and sweet and, I guess, one of those silly, little, simple things that pick your day up just a smidgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment