Saturday, October 3, 2009

More from your favorite American in Florence

So, hands-down Italy understands fruit. I mean, especially the sector I am inhabiting (Tuscany!) is notorious for its wine and vineyards, but I wouldn't know a good wine from grape juice gone bad. However, I do know I tasty juice when the sweet nectar touches my tongue. Peach Juice and Pear Juice, the kinds with the pulp included especially, are so amazingly satisfying. I almost think it is like drinking canned peaches or pears that have been blended, but that sounds sort of gross (not that I am not going to try it when I am in the United States) and this stuff is sooooo good. Oh, and a shout out to A.C.E.--a juice made of oranges, carrots and lemon, another fave. You'll notice that I am holding an empty juice bottle--because full ones don't usually last too long.
I'm sort of paranoid about my footwear. I feel it gives me away immediately as an American. Sometimes I swear I see people, usually gray-haired women look down at my feet with scornful eyes. And these running shoes aren't so bad (they are the ones that saw me through my marathon, so I have a sort of nostalgic attachment to them...I think if they can get me through 26.2 miles they can get me through a Master's program in Italy). If you want to talk bad shoes, i wear this pair of dirt-stained, foam, teal $6 Wal-mart flip-flops almost everyday (because sometimes it is just too hot to wear your lucky shoes). One of the flip=flops actually blew out on me today (but I managed a makeshift repair that enabled me to have protective covering for my left foot for the duration of my journey), so they are retiring and Italy is going to be seeing more of my well-worn Mizuno's (obscure brand, I know, but actually, the name kind of sounds Italian...). Pretty soon here I'll have to spring for some sensible, yet classy, Italian shoes.
I just thought I'd throw in a picture of the Campanile at sunset so you, dear reader, can have a little cultural stimulation instead of just hearing about juice, shoes and...
NUTELLA, or rather Esselunga's cheaper, but no-less-delicious, store-brand rip-off. I love this stuff. I was going to make crepes like an hour ago, but there was no gas for the stove, so I just took a spoon to this bad boy and ate a shameful amount (let's say it was around 250 grams). But, if the gas is ever working, I'm going to fire up the stove and eat me some crepes, and will whip out the fake nutella again.

And just a shout out to anybody who is reading this, I miss you like MAD! To the point of insanity! I love all my friends and family so much and stalk you via whatever electronic means are available to stalk you.

xoxox

1 comment:

  1. oh how i love you! crepes are my fav and i LOVE Nutella!!!! I hope all is well and i miss your guts! Oh and p.s toy story three comes out next June i believe =) its when andy goes to college! haha love them!

    ReplyDelete