Tuesday, February 5, 2013

on the radio (maybe) and relics of broken marriage

i like to hobnob among the slc elite, and by the slc elite, i mean the nonprofit community. i attended a utah nonprofit networking social this evening, and it was a pretty classy event because they bought fancy crackers, cheese, and wine. (all events can be judged by the caliber of the cheeses they serve.) the event was hosted at krcl, a local, nonprofit radio station. i got to chat with "bad" brad wheeler, the drive-time deejay, and record a little spot in the studio. my bit went exactly like this, "this is roni from neighborhood house and you're listening to 90.9 fm krcl. community connections, music discovery." so, you could here the dulcet tones of my slightly lispy voice between native american tribal chants. (although, krcl plays more than tribal chants--i've heard laura marling played.)

i came home from my networking to find two packages under my doormat.

the greatest of the haul?

 yellow snap-in 45rpm adapters.

i can now play the bag of 45's that were played at my parents' wedding in 1988. for some reason, i find it particularly transcendent to listen to the tunes my parents selected while i was a six-month-old embryo. the songs are artifacts of a different time. a time that i can chalk up to being simpler, although it was surely rife with complexity as two young people prepared themselves to be stewards over the existence of an infant (me.) My mom was my age when she was married. My dad was a tender 19. this is incredibly cheesy to say, but listening to these songs three years after my parents' separation makes them so potent and not in an upsetting way. listening to belinda carlisle belt it and the soundtrack that patrick swayze did his dirty dancing to, makes me feel oddly hopeful and cognizant of all the crazy ups and downs of life. it makes me love life on this tuesday evening and so excited for the potential of the thousands of other evenings that are waiting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment