Tuesday, November 2, 2010

red revival

Communism is alive and well in my heart as a beautiful ideal. This Halloween I costumed myself in the garb of a soviet-era Russian spy. The outfit was replete with accessories ranging from my bright purple bob wig (which inspired a deep love for wigs and an impulsive desire to chop of my hair and dye it a neon hue, but reasonableness continues to overpower my whims when I realize I am not a rockstar, nor do I live a rock-and-roll lifestyle) to my soviet-era soldier's cap. But I am not staving off sleep to blog about my Halloween costume.

No, the topic which inspired this burst of writing is even more--how should I put this--oh, right, vain.

As I compiled the pieces of my Halloween ensemble I thought nothing would say, "I want to seduce you, James Bond, so I can steal your government's secrets" like bright red lipstick. Thus, moments before I was due to work I ran into the grocery store to pick up some red lipstick.

The shade dubbed Red Revival.

I coated my lips with the stuff as part of my costume, and figured, "Well there's $5 frivolously spent, as I have no designs to make my lips so ostentatious on regular occasion." But I left the stuff in my apron pocket and my co-worker Mary convinced me to try it on again on November 1st. I mainly put it on to show how ridiculous it looked for everyday wear, but she told me she liked it. Moments later, my boss walked by and told me she was fond of my lipstick. My sister was also thought it looked quite good on me. So, I wore it again today.

I kind of feel like that Junior High girl that is finally allowed to wear make-up, so she makes sure the world knows it by ignoring the neutral tones and going for shades that make it obvious she is accenting her natural beauty with gobs of glittery blue eye-shadow and crazy lipstick.

But it doesn't look as good on the 14-year-old as it does on me, right?

Perhaps later I'll blog about the environment, or how female veterans are really passed over when it comes to care in VA hospitals, or how I am not mad at Barack Obama. But this is what you get today. Lipstick.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your moxie. You do quite rock the red lipstick.

    I'm not mad at Barack either...and I'm not even mad at Utahns. Way to leave Jim Matheson. He wore cowboy boots when we met him in DC.

    ReplyDelete