Thursday, February 25, 2010

Forza Viola!

Truly, I was born to be a Fiorentina fan. Look at how dazzlingly purple their uniforms are.

For those not in the know, La Fiorentina is Florence's series A soccer team. Last night, they battled against AC Milan, whose team boasts notorious soccer divos (the masculine form of diva, just fyi) David Beckham (as in Bend it Like Beckham my peeps! I honestly don't know if I would know who he was were it not for that delightful flick, and the fact that he married Posh Spice) and Brazil's own Ronaldinho (I think I heard of him because his name was tossed around a lot during the World Cup). In the face of such formidable competition Fiorentina held its own, scoring its first goal before I even managed to make it through the gate (the bus from my house to the stadium took an hour and a half; I could have walked in half the time). However, Milan scored a goal fifteen minutes before the game was up and then scored ANOTHER about two minutes before the clock ran out. 2-1 for Milan. Despite the soccer royalty gracing Milan, I cheered passionately for my local boys, and shouted "Dai!" with the rest of the crowd as our chances of being declared victors dissipated.

I hear they are playing Juventus on March 6th, and I may have to see if Rosalinda is willing to go to another game with me!

I felt particularly young because when I bought my ticket I qualified for a "ridotto giovani" a "youth discount." You only have to be under 23 to qualify for it, but it filled me with youthful vigor. Which is good, since I keep deluding myself into thinking that 21.5 is old.

No comments:

Post a Comment