Monday, July 20, 2009

NYU in Florence

So, I am a graduate of Brigham Young University with a Bachelor's of Arts in Humanities with a history emphasis.

Thus, a new adventure begins...

I applied to the Italian Studies M.A. program at NYU, hardly expecting to be accepted; however, around mid-may a large envelope bearing NYU insignia arrived in the mailbox. I thought to myself, "They don't send rejection letters in such sizable envelopes. Maybe I've been wait listed." But no, glory be, I'd been accepted. I immediately began to peruse craigslist for housing in Manhattan.

Then...twist!

Turns out NYU has a center in Florence where they offer graduate classes in a setting where that Master's degree can be earned in a year or less. Turns out that they will also give you $3000 and a 30% tuition discount to study there. Turns out it is set on an 65-acre estate donated to the university in 1994 with grounds and an art collection worth $500 million. Turns out, housing can be a lot cheaper in Florence.this is a picture of the Villa La Pietra

So, I have a one-way ticket purchased to leave the ol' US of A for Italy on August 25.

Now I just have to hope my housing and visa go through!

No comments:

Post a Comment