Sunday, April 22, 2012

Little Demetri

So, it turns out that I have an odd fetish with bestowing comedians with handmade trinkets.

When I bought tickets for the SLC Radiolab show, which featured Demetri Martin, I figured I ought to express my appreciation to the performer for coming up with some of my favorite quips that I routinely misquote, such as:

"Saying I apologize is the same as saying I'm sorry, except at a funeral."
"Owning a dog in a city tells you a lot about a person. It says, 'My desire for companionship outweighs my distaste for picking up poop.'"
"Dream catchers work, if your dream is to be gay." (No offense intended to dream catcher lovers straight or gay, or Native American communities. Mainly, I am making fun of my father. No offense to him either. I kid because I love.) 

So, I crafted (poorly) an effigy of Mr. Martin (that I hope he did not choose to burn.) The photo I posted was pre-stuffing, but I made his arms far too skinny, and stuffing them was devastatingly difficult, so I left his arms floppy and meatless. I explained this to Mr. Martin, and he self-deprecatingly remarked that it was anatomically correct. He may not have noticed that Little Demetri has no feet.

Our exchange was fairly routine. He was appropriately gracious and kind. He asked if he could keep it, and I said that was why I was presenting it to him. I told him I thought it would be creepy if I kept it. Especially after I embroidered "Fan Art of Voodoo" on Little Demetri's T-shirt.

Bringing Little Demetri and Real Demetri together wasn't terribly difficult. After the RadioLab show, which was absolutely terrific by the way, my friend Eliza's support supplied me with the courage to awkwardly stand by the stage hoping to get the attention of someone involved in the production. We tried to wave down  RadioLab host Robert, but he was distracted with equipment, but then Demetri came out to greet the handful of celebrity-obsessed loonies like myself.

I did not get a picture, so you may allege this never happened. It felt creepy enough giving someone a fabric rendering of themself. I also am not huge on the "getting pictures with celebrities." I feel photos can be a misrepresentation of reality. What does obliging a public figure to stand next to me smiling like we are buddies prove? That I was precocious enough to make demands of a famous person that I really know nothing about? I think we have this tendency to believe pictures are truth, maybe less so in the age of photoshop, but even before photoshop, photos are a framed isolated view of reality. And enough time on that soapbox.

But if you are looking for proof, Demetri said that if he ever updates his website (which he says he really hasn't had updated in like 5 years) he definitely wants to have a section of fan stuff, and that he would feature  Little Demetri with the tag that it was made by Roni from Salt Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment