Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cute Kids





When I first spent a Saturday morning at Casa San Michele, the hours dragged by. I was so worried I would do something wrong, and I could not remember anyone's name. I assumed that I would have to get by with the Italian equivalent of "Hey you" when I needed to get the attention of someone specific.

I never thought the kids would really like me. I figured I would just watch to make sure they did not swallow any marbles or hit each other.

I never thought they would actually run over to me with their arms outstretched, wanting my attention, or insist on giving me good-bye kisses before I left.

But now that it is almost over I think, what will these kids grow up to be? Will I ever see them again? Would I recognize them if I did? I don't expect three-year-olds to remember a girl who spent four hours with them on Saturdays for 8 months, but am I going to search the faces of any Iris, Michele, Fabbian, Luna I meetfor a glimpse of the kids I played with in Florence?

Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment